Sultan Qaboos University
Aquaponic Research System
Summary: In partnership with Sultan Qaboos University in Oman, this DWC system has been established to research aquaponics in arid climates.
- Size: 300 sq m greenhouse, 26,000 L total system volume
- Production system: greenhouse, Deep Water Culture (DWC) system
- Species: Tilapia, lettuces and other short-term crops
- Dates Operational: January 2013
partners and people
- Sultan Qaboos University
- Dr. Stephen Goddard, Director of the Center of Excellence in Marine Biology
- Rumais Agricultural Experiment and Research Station
WaterFarmers and Dr. Stephen Goddard, Director of the Center of Excellence in Marine Biology at Sultan Qaboos University, have partnered to research nutrient dynamics in aquaponic systems. As part of the Rumais Agricultural Experiment and Research Station, this project will provide parameters for successful aquaponic systems in arid climates.
A combination of nutrient regimes will be recorded and compared during this study. The system will be a purely Deep Water Culture production facility with a primary focus on growing short term crops.